The Mission of the Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
- To support and speak on behalf of children and youth in the schools, in the community, and before governmental bodies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children;
- To assist parents in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children;
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of this nation.
- The Purposes of the Parent Teacher Association
- To promote the welfare of the children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.
The National Parent Teacher Association
As a local unit of a National organization, PTA is concerned with legislation that impacts our families and our children’s education. PTA has a voice in local, state and national governments on topics such as school funding, facilities, and teaching standards.
The State Parent Teacher Association
At the state level, the Illinois PTA closely monitors legislation that may affect children and asks our legislators to vote in accordance with the PTA position on that issue.
The Local Parent Teacher Association
The PTA at the local level is linked to the state PTA and National PTA, forming a nationwide network of members working on behalf of all children and youth.
Because of its connections to the state and National PTAs, the local PTA is a valuable resource to its school community with (1) access to programs to benefit children, youth, and their families, and (2) the recognition and size to influence the formulation of laws, policies, and practices—education or legislative.
Illinois Congress of Parents & Teachers-South Side PTA (South Side PTA) is a nonprofit organization. Donations are tax deductible.